I Want To...
Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with Us
New Kansas Resident
New Resident - Action Required
     New resident motor vehicle owners must register their vehicles in the local County Treasurer's Office in the county where their vehicles are garaged.  Military and full-time college students may register at either their legal residence or where they are stationed.  New residents are allowed 90 days to re-register their vehicle once they have established their new residence.

Documents Required as follows...

Out-of-State Title

     The owner must provide the original out-of-state title or if the title is being held in another state, the lien holder may fax it to the County Treasurer.  We need a cover sheet and a copy of the front and back of the title.  The Franklin County Treasurer's fax number is 785-229-3461.

Vehicle Examination

A Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) is required from the Kansas Highway Patrol.

    The following are required for the MVE-1 examination:
       a.   The Vehicle
       b.   Title (or faxed copy-certified from the Treasurer's Office)
       d.   $20 cash or check for regular titles and $25 cash or check for salvage titles.
 The Highway Patrol is located @ East Highway 68 at KDOT.  Office hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.  MVE-1 can be processed with any Kansas highway patrol that has the forms.
     Allows you to drive a vehicle from it's present location to the Highway Patrol Inspection location.  Bring the title, proof of insurance, and $1 to the Treasurer's Office
(Motor Vehicle Department).

Proof of Insurance
Proof of current insurance for each vehicle.

Lien Release

A Lien release if the vehicle lien is paid off.  (Notary may be required, depending on the state).

Changing ownership will require additional information.  Please call the Franklin County Treasurer at 785-229-3455.