I Want To...
Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with Us
Sale of Vehicle
Thank you for your patience during this covid craziness, it is greatly appreciated! Wearing a mask helps me protect you, and you protect me.

We are now open to the general public and have resumed our normal hours of 8am-4:30pm, we take rotating lunches so that we can help
you during lunch hours.
We strongly encourage everyone that has transactions that can be handled through the mail to do so! This
will really help to keep the Motor Vehicle office and hallway compliant with social distancing and will help to keep employees
& patrons healthy, safe & feeling secure in their surroundings! 
Thank you! 

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Our email address is:  
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.

You may apply for a refund upon the sale of a vehicle.  The refund is prorated from the date the plate is surrendered until the expiration date of the plate.  On trucks registered over 12M lbs, the refund is mailed from the state within eight weeks.  Owners with heavy trucks and trailers must also notify the Appraiser's Office, 785-229-3420, to have the vehicle removed from the tax roll.  Trailer and moped plates are non-refundable.  RV trailers are refundable for property tax only.

     To apply for a refund, surrender the license plate, purchaser's name, your social security number and current registration.

Moving out of State

     You may apply for a refund when you move and register your vehicle in another state.  Mail to us the Kansas license plate, Kansas registration, a copy of your new out of state driver's license and application for refund form from the County Treasurer's Office, 785-229-3455.  The prorated refund is on the personal property tax from the date we received the plate, and related paperwork, to the expiration date.