I Want To...
Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with Us
Titling of Used Vehicles
Executive Order 20-55, signed by Governor Kelly, states that Kansas residents who have
purchased a new or used vehicle on or after January 1, 2020 through May 31, 2020, will
have an extended time period to title and register their vehicle. Temporary permits are
extended for these purposes. Please refer to the chart below for the timeline. 

When did you                        **Register by this date**
purchase your vehicle?*********to avoid penalties***Final day to register
Jan 1, 2020-Jan 31, 2020*********08-31-20***********Monday, August 31
Feb 1, 2020-Feb 29, 2020********09-30-20***********Wednesday, Sep 30
Mar 1, 2020-Mar 31, 2020********10-31-20***********Friday, Oct 30****31st is a Saturday
Apr 1, 2020-Apr 30, 2020*********11-30-20***********Monday, November 30
May 1, 2020-May 31, 2020*******12-31-20***********Wednesday, Dec 30****MV Office is
                                                                                                         closed in preparation
                                                                                                            for Annual Audit on
                                                                                                                      December 31.

Vehicle registration renewals from March 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020
must be renewed by Friday, November 13, 2020.

Registration renewals beginning July 1, 2020 and going forward MUST be
renewed within the regularly scheduled month.

Thank you for your patience during this covid craziness, it is greatly appreciated! Wearing a mask helps me protect you, and you protect me.

We are now open to the general public and have resumed our normal hours of 8am-4:30pm, we take rotating lunches so that we can help
you during lunch hours.
We strongly encourage everyone that has transactions that can be handled through the mail to do so! This
will really help to keep the Motor Vehicle office and hallway compliant with social distancing and will help to keep employees
& patrons healthy, safe & feeling secure in their surroundings! 
Thank you! 

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Our email address is:  
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.

 Applications for a title must originate in the local County Motor Vehicle office in the county where the vehicle is garaged.  Military or full-time college students may register at their legal residence or their stationed address.

A vehicle must be registered within 60 days from the date of purchase or penalty will be charged.

Documents Required
  • Properly assigned title (notarization is no longer required in Kansas).
  • Kansas sales tax receipt is required when purchased from a Kansas dealer.
  • Bill of Sale when purchased from out-of-state dealer.
  • Affidavit of Purchase Price (TR-11) when title has no line for purchase price.
  • A Motor Vehicle Examination (MVE-1) on out-of-state titles from the Kansas Highway Patrol.  The Highway Patrol is located at East Highway 68 at KDOT.  Office hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday 9:00am - 12:00pm and Thursday 9:00am - 12:00pm

                                                        Other Inspection Options

The following are required for the MVE-1 examination:
1.  The vehicle
2.  Title
3.  $20 cash or check for regular titles and $25 cash or check for salvage titles.
MVE-1 can be processed with any Kansas highway patrol that has the forms.
  • Proof of current insurance for each vehicle.
  • Transfer of Death (TOD) party's name and address if desired on title.
  • Lien release if lien shows on the seller's title.

The State of Kansas now holds, in electronic format, any title that has a lien attached until the lien is paid off.  It is called an E-Title.