Please Note: Changes regarding hours of operation
- The Motor Vehicle Department is closed from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, until further notice.
- ALL COMMERCIAL title work and/or registrations will be processed daily from 8am to 3pm only. (closed from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.)
- ALL TITLES for new or used vehicles will be processed 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. (closed from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.)
- Renewals without vehicle changes, antique renewals, handicap placards, and personalized plate orders can all be processed from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. (closed from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.)
We offer many services to the public, most of which are listed below. The Motor Vehicle Department offers, but are not limited to, the following services
- Renewing license plates
- Titling newly purchased vehicles
- Issuing Handicap placards/plates
- Antique vehicle registrations
- Ordering of Specialty plates offered by the State of Kansas including personalized plates
The Motor Vehicle Department is NOT RESPONSIBLE for:
- Issuing driver's licenses - This is the responsibility of a state office located at 225 S. Walnut St. in Ottawa, phone number 785-242-1276
- Inspection of vehicles - This is the responsibility of KDOT located at 3182 Highway K-68 in Ottawa, 785.242.0063, Monday & Thursday Only, 9 am to Noon.
Motor Vehicle Resources
Calculate my Vehicle Property Tax
Renewal of License Plates Registration
Titling of New Vehicles
Titling of Used Vehicles
New Kansas Resident
Vehicle Property Tax Information System
Disabled Placard or Plates
Titles: duplicate, secured or removal of liens
2014 Commercial Vehicle Brochure
Commercial Vehicle Letter
Do you have questions for the Motor Vehicle Department?
Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.
Our mailing address is: 315 S Main Street, Room 107, Ottawa KS 66067-2335.
The County drop box is located on the front lawn on Main Street.
If you are using the mail or the drop box option please include a copy of your insurance card, your phone number on at least one of the documents, and your renewal form from the State of Kansas. Obviously do not put cash in the mail or the drop box, only checks or money orders!
Online e-tag instructions are on your renewal.
Handicap placards both new and renewals can be processed in person, by mail, or drop box.
Thank you for your patience, and be sure to check out the Franklin County, KS - Government page on Facebook, and the Motor Vehicle page Franklin County Motor Vehicle - changes and updates are posted there regularly!
Please don't put off renewing your registration(s) till the last week/day!