Self-Help Resources

Franklin County Help Center information: Click Here

Online Protection Order Portal: Click Here

Effective December 7, 2020 - Supreme Court Rule for Self-Represented Citizens on Filing Court Documents

Kansas Supreme Court Rule 2020-RL-115

SRL Certification Form (required for all filings) Click Here

What is Personally Identifiable Information?  Click Here

Court Contact Information:


Clerk of District Court office hours:
Monday through Friday 8 am to 12 & 1 pm to 4 pm
100 E. 4th - P.O. Box 305
Garnett, KS 66032
(785) 448-6886
fax: (785)448-3230


Clerk of District Court office hours:
Monday through Friday 8 am to 12 & 1 pm to 4 pm
110 S. 6th - Suite 102
Burlington, KS 66839
(620) 364-8628
fax: (620)364-8535


Clerk of District Court office hours:
Monday through Friday 8 am to 12 & 1 pm to 4 pm
301 S. Main
Ottawa, KS 66067
(785) 242-6000  
fax: (785)242-5970


Clerk of District Court office hours:
Monday through Friday 8 am to 12 & 1 pm to 4 pm
717 Topeka Avenue - PO Box 549
Lyndon KS 66451
(785) 828-4514
fax: (785) 828-4704

Finding what you need

Court Basics: Click Here

Find Court Forms: Click Here

What to expect from Court Staff: Click Here

This Self-Help Resource Center is intended to help you find legal assistance, work with an attorney, or represent yourself in some legal matters.

One of the most common misconceptions citizens have is that court staff will be able to answer all legal procedural questions as you proceed through the court process.

Please be reminded that court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice.

Court staff will strive to provide you the best assistance possible, but may not be able to answer all your questions, especially if they involve legal advice.

K.S.A. 20-3133. Clerks and deputies of district court; prohibited conduct. It shall be unlawful for clerks of the district court or any of their deputies to write any petition or answer or other pleadings in any proceedings, or perform any service as an attorney or counselor at law in any case or cases pending in the court in which they are either clerk or deputy, or be interested in any profits or emoluments arising out of any practice in the courts of which they are either clerk or deputy, except costs.

Court staff can provide information that can be helpful in the handling of your case. However, court staff cannot provide legal advice, which limits the type of information that can be given. The following are guidelines established by Supreme Court Rule 1402. Your understanding of what information can be provided will assist you in effectively talking with court staff.

RULE 1402

Your communication with court staff is not privileged or confidential, and it does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Court staff must remain neutral and impartial. Court staff will treat you with respect.

You should talk to a lawyer if you want personalized legal advice.

Court Staff CAN:

  • Suggest talking to a lawyer.
  • Give you information about resources, such as:
    • lawyer referral services that can direct you to low-cost or no-cost legal help where available;
    • legal aid programs;
    • where to find on-line forms; and
    • the public library.
  • Explain the process and costs of filing.
  • Check forms for completeness.
  • Exactly record information provided if you are unable to fill out the form yourself.
  • Explain the hearing process.
  • Help locate local records.

Court Staff CANNOT:

  • Give you legal advice.
  • Tell you if you should file a case.
  • Perform legal research.
  • Represent you in court.
  • Investigate case facts.
  • Tell you what a statute or rule means and whether it applies to your case.
  • Tell you what the result of a case will be.
  • Disclose confidential information.
  • Tell you what to say.
  • Talk to the judge for you.

Lawyer Referral Services:


Kansas Lawyer Advice Line:

  • Pay-per-minute legal advice
  • Open Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
  • 1-800-928-3111

Supreme Court Rules:

Kansas Child Support Enforcement Customer Call Center: 1-888-757-2445

Kansas Child Support Enforcement Website:

Glossary of legal terms:

As of July 1, 2013, the fee Sheriffs charge to serve any writ, process, order or notice is $15.00. 

Franklin County Attorney Diversion Links

Adult Diversions

Traffic Diversions

Expungement Forms

Criminal Case Cover Sheet

Adult Expungement Information and Forms