Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with Us
Obtain a Marriage License
Instructions for Obtaining a Marriage License

Effective May 13, 2020:

Eight more district courts to process marriage licenses


TOPEKA—Eight more district courts will resume issuing marriage licenses using a process that doesn't require in-person contact.


District courts in Barton, Leavenworth, Lyon, Miami, Pawnee, Reno, Saline, and Thomas counties will begin processing new marriage license applications starting Wednesday, May 13.


Applicants must call a court to begin the process.

Ten courts have been processing marriage licenses using this new process since April 20.


Courts that will issue marriage licenses


People who live in Johnson, Sedgwick, Shawnee, or Wyandotte county will get their marriage licenses through the district court in their county:

People who live in other counties will now be able to choose from 14 court locations to get a marriage license:

Courts will receive applications by encrypted email or mail


Marriage license paperwork requires the applicant to provide a photo identification that includes personally identifiable information, such as date of birth, Social Security number, or driver’s license number. To protect this information, courts will begin an encrypted email exchange with the applicant through which the applicant will return completed paperwork.


If an applicant does not have email, courts will also send and receive paperwork by U.S. mail.


Fulfilling the oath requirement


Marriage license applicants previously were required to appear in person in the clerk of court’s office to swear an oath that includes affirming:

  • they are of lawful age to marry or have necessary consent to marry;
  • are not related in degrees prohibited by law; and
  • no legal reason exists why they should not marry.

Under the new process, applicants will make this affirmation on paper.

Prior marriage license applications will not be processed


If a person submitted a marriage license application before courts closed to in-person contact on March 18, and the marriage license was not issued, the person will need to submit a new application to a court issuing marriage licenses using this new process. This applies even if the earlier application was submitted to a court that will now issue marriage licenses, and it is to ensure all requirements are met. 

State courts slowly expanding operations 


On May 1 the chief justice issued six new administrative orders to provide updated direction to state courts and court users as the state slowly reopens following a plan outlined by the governor April 30.

Under these orders, courts will gradually increase the number and types of service delivered to the people of Kansas.


State courts have been operating in a limited capacity since March 18 under earlier Supreme Court orders issued in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Courts initially were restricted to only essential functions, but they were later permitted to perform additional functions to the extent local resources and circumstances allowed.


For a complete list of judicial branch actions in response to the novel coronavirus, visit Kansas Courts Response to COVID-19.



 -Please Read Carefully-

Notice: Effective October 1, 2015- Only those parties getting married are allowed to pick up their marriage license and certified copies.  You will be required to show government-issued photo identification as proof of identity.

An application for a marriage license must be completed at the Clerk of District Court office in Anderson, Coffey, Franklin or Osage County District Court. Addresses are on this website. There is a waiting period of at least 3 calendar days after the date you apply for your license.  

A worksheet is issued when the application is made. ALL information must be completed and returned when picking up the license. The worksheet must be signed by both parties.

Either person may pick up the license. Please pick up between 8:30 A.M. and noon or 1:00 pm and 3:30 P.M.

There is a fee for the license and you can only pay in cash. No checks are allowed.
  The marriage license will expire in six months.

After the marriage ceremony, the ORIGINAL LICENSE is returned to the Court for recording and then forwarded to the Department of Vital Statistics in Topeka, Kansas, where it is kept on permanent file.

To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license you may apply to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, Topeka, Kansas, (you can obtain an application form from Vital Statistics). Please note that Osage County does NOT issue certified copies of Marriage Licenses.

If you wish to be married by a Judge, you may make an appointment with:

Judge Eric Godderz:                    (785) 448-6889 - Garnett
Judge Kevin Kimball:                   (785) 229-8929 - Ottawa
Judge Shannon Rush:                 (785) 828-4713 - Lyndon

NOTE: The license may be published in the local newspaper.

The form for Application and Affidavit to Obtain Marriage License may be printed for your review but you must apply in person at the district court office.

Notice for Minors

Minors must be accompanied by parent or guardian.  A license will not be issued to any person under the age of 16 years except that a judge may give consent and issue the license authorizing the marriage of a person 15 years of age when the marriage is in the best interest of the individual.  The judge may give consent if both parents are deceased and there is no legal guardian.

For individuals who are 16 or 17 years old, a marriage license shall not be issued without the express consent of the individual’s father, mother, or legal guardian and the consent of the judge.  If consent of both the mother and father and any legal guardian or all then living parents is given, the consent of the judge shall not be required.
     If you have any questions, please contact the District Court Clerk of Court office in your county of residence. OFFICE HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and closed from 12:00 to 1:00 for the lunch hour.


Mon-Fri  8am-12 & 1pm-4
100 E. 4th - P.O. Box 305
Garnett, KS 66032


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
110 S. 6th - Suite 102
Burlington, KS 66839


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
301 S. Main
Ottawa, KS 66067


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
717 Topeka Avenue
P.O. Box 549
Lyndon KS 66451
fax(785) 828-4704