Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with Us
Self-Help Resources
Finding what you need
Kansas Judicial Council Legal Forms Access

This Self-Help Resource Center is intended to help you find legal assistance, work with an attorney, or represent yourself in some legal matters.

One of the most common misconceptions citizens have is that court staff will be able to answer all legal procedural questions as you proceed through the court process.

Please be reminded that court personnel are prohibited by law from giving legal advice.

Court staff will strive to provide you the best assistance possible, but may not be able to answer all your questions, especially if they involve legal advice.

K.S.A. 20-3133.   Clerks and deputies of district court; prohibited conduct. It shall be unlawful for clerks of the district court or any of their deputies to write any petition or answer or other pleadings in any proceedings, or perform any service as an attorney or counselor at law in any case or cases pending in the court in which they are either clerk or deputy, or be interested in any profits or emoluments arising out of any practice in the courts of which they are either clerk or deputy, except costs.

Court staff can provide information that can be helpful in the handling of your case. However, court staff cannot provide legal advice, which limits the type of information that can be given. The following are guidelines established by Supreme Court Administrative Order 232 for court staff to follow. Your understanding of what information can be provided will assist you in effectively talking with court staff.

Court Staff May:

  • Encourage self-represented litigants to be informed about their legal rights to consult with an attorney for legal advice.
  • Encourage self-represented litigants to consult with an attorney for legal advice.
  • Provide information about:
    1. Pro Bono (free) legal services;
    2. low-cost legal services;
    3. lawyer referral services; and
    4. a list of local attorneys provided by the local bar association.
  • Provide locations for all appropriate court-approved forms and written instructions.
  • Provide docketed case information.
  • Provide reasonable accommodations required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
  • Provide locations for court-approved, written definitions of commonly used terms.
  • Provide general information about courtroom location, other agencies’ locations in the building, and in-house facilities.

Court Staff May Not Do Any Of The Following:

  • Provide legal advice, including but not limited to:
    1. recommending a specific course of action;
    2. performing legal research for litigants;
    3. interpreting how the law would apply to a specific situation;
    4. predicting the outcome of a particular strategy or action; and
    5. computing deadlines specified by statute or court rules.
  • Recommend any specific course of action, including but not limited to:
    1. whether to file a pleading;
    2. the specific content or phrasing for a pleading;
    3. the types of claims or arguments to assert in pleadings or objections to pleadings; and
    4. whether to settle or appeal.
  • Assist in completing any forms or advise on how a particular term or definition applies to a specific situation.
  • Interpret statutes or rules or advise whether a particular statute or rule applies in a specific situation.
  • Provide information kept confidential by statute or court rule.
  • Recommend or advise concerning rules of evidence, witnesses, objections, or rulings.

You are strongly encouraged to thoroughly read the material on the Kansas Judicial Branch Self-Help website, including a self assessment of your ability to represent yourself in court, before proceeding:


Kansas Judicial Branch Self-Help Website:

Fourth Judicial District Administrative Rules:

Lawyer Referral Services:  


Kansas Lawyer Advice Line:

  • Pay-per-minute legal advice
  • Open Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
  • 1-800-928-3111



Order for continuance forms


Supreme Court Rules:

Kansas Child Support Enforcement Customer Call Center:   1-888-757-2445

Kansas Child Support Enforcement Website:

Glossary of legal terms:

As of July 1, 2013, the fee Sheriffs charge to serve any writ, process, order or notice is $15.00.

Franklin County Attorney Diversion Links


Mon-Fri  8am-12 & 1pm-4
100 E. 4th - P.O. Box 305
Garnett, KS 66032


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
110 S. 6th - Suite 102
Burlington, KS 66839


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
301 S. Main
Ottawa, KS 66067


Mon-Fri 8am-12 & 1pm-4
717 Topeka Avenue
P.O. Box 549
Lyndon KS 66451
fax(785) 828-4704