- Planning & Building
- Zoning Regulations
These Zoning Regulations and districts as herein established have been made in accordance with the State statutes and an adopted comprehensive plan and land use study to promote the present and future needs, the safety, morals, order, convenience, prosperity and general welfare of the citizens of Franklin County, Kansas, and to provide for efficiency and economy in the process of development, for the appropriate and best use of land, for convenience of traffic and circulation of people and goods, for the use and occupancy of buildings, for healthful and convenient distribution of population and for land for trade, industry and residence, by regulating and limiting or establishing the height and bulk of buildings and structures, the area of yards and other open spaces and the density of use. These Zoning Regulations have been established with reasonable consideration, among other things, to the character of the district and its specific suitability for particular uses and with a view to conserving the value of buildings and encouraging the most appropriate use of land through-out the unincorporated territory of Franklin County, Kansas.
These regulations are intended to serve the following purposes:
- To promote the health, safety, morals, comfort and general welfare of the citizens of Franklin County, Kansas.
- To create a variety of zoning districts sensitive to the peculiarities of the various permitted uses and designed to protect, enhance and promote the values inherent in each zone.
- To conserve productive agricultural land and protect it from the intrusion of incompatible uses, but not to regulate or restrict the principal use of land for agricultural uses.
- To regulate and restrict the height, number of stories and size of buildings; the percentage of land area that may be occupied by buildings and other structures, size of yards, courts and other open spaces.
- To provide for adequate light and air and establish acceptable noise levels.
- To avoid the undue concentration of populations and to prevent overcrowding in the use of land and community facilities.
- To provide adequate notice on subsequent changes to these regulations or zoning district boundaries and an opportunity for interested parties to be heard.
- To provide information regarding possible flood hazards and provide for minimum construction standards for protection from possible flooding.
- To facilitate the adequate provisions of transportation, water, sewage, schools, parks and other public improvements and services and to carry out the goals and objectives as set forth in applicable laws of the State of Kansas, the Comprehensive Plan for Franklin County and any adopted plan.
- To inform the public regarding future development in Franklin County, Kansas, thereby providing a basis for wise decisions with respect to such development.
You can obtain a copy, or review a copy, of the Franklin County Zoning Regulations at the Planning and Building Department Office or you can download the document in pdf format by clicking here.