New Kansas Resident

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.

New Resident - Action Required

New resident motor vehicle owners must register their vehicles in the local Motor Vehicle Office in the county where their vehicles are garaged. Military and full-time college students may register at either their legal residence or where they are stationed. New residents are allowed 90 days to re-register their vehicle once they have established their new residence.

Documents Required as follows...

Out-of-State Title

The owner must provide the original out-of-state title or if the title is being held in another state, the lien holder must fax it to the Motor Vehicle Department. We need a cover sheet and a copy of the front and back of the title. The Franklin County Motor Vehicle's fax number is 785-229-3461.

Vehicle Examination

A Motor Vehicle Examination/Inspection (MVE-1) is required from the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The following are required for the MVE-1 examination: 

a. The Vehicle

b. Title (or faxed copy-certified from the Treasurer's Office) 

d. $20 cash or check for regular titles and $25 cash or check for salvage titles.

The Highway Patrol is located @ East Highway 68 at KDOT. Office hours for MVE-1 examinations are Monday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. MVE-1 can be processed with any Kansas highway patrol that has the forms.

A one day temporary plate allows you to drive a vehicle from it's present location to the Highway Patrol Inspection location. Bring the title, proof of insurance, and $1 to the Motor Vehicle Department.

Proof of Insurance

Proof of current insurance for each vehicle.

Lien Release

A Lien release if the vehicle lien is paid off. (Notary may be required, depending on the state).

Changing ownership will require additional information. Please call the Franklin County Motor Vehicle Office at 785-229-3455.