Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.

Sale of Vehicle

You may apply for a refund upon the sale of a vehicle. The refund is prorated from the date the plate is surrendered until the expiration date of the plate. On trucks registered over 12M lbs, the refund is mailed from the state within eight weeks. Owners with heavy trucks and trailers must also notify the Appraiser's Office, 785-229-3420, to have the vehicle removed from the tax roll. Trailer and moped plates are non-refundable. RV trailers are refundable for property tax only.

To apply for a refund, surrender the license plate, purchaser's name, your social security number and current registration.

Moving out of State

You may apply for a refund when you move and register your vehicle in another state. Mail to us the Kansas license plate, Kansas registration, a copy of your new out of state driver's license and application for refund form from the County Treasurer's Office, 785-229-3455. The prorated refund is on the personal property tax from the date we received the plate, and related paperwork, to the expiration date.