Titling of New Vehicles

Our phone number is 785-229-3455.
Email the Motor Vehicle Department
Our fax number is 785-229-3461.


Applications for a title must originate in the office of the local Motor Vehicle office. The local office is determined by where the vehicle is garaged. Military or full-time college students may register at their local residence or their stationed address.

A vehicle must be registered within 60 days from date of purchase or a penalty will be charged.

Documents Required

  • Properly assigned Statement of Origin (notarization is no longer required in Kansas)
  • Kansas sales tax receipt is required when purchased from a Kansas dealer and an invoice when purchased from an out-of-state dealer
  • Proof of current insurance for each vehicle
  • Transfer of Death (TOD) party's name and address if desired on title

The State of Kansas now holds, in electronic format, any title that has a lien attached until the lien is paid off.

Transfer of License Plates

The new vehicle must be registered in the same name as the old vehicle. Names allowed to be added are: parent, spouse or child. Any other name being added requires the purchase of new plates; old plates may be surrendered to the local County Treasurer for a refund. A refund is determined by the remaining full months of registration and property tax, and totaling $5 or more. Should you have questions concerning a refund, call you local County Treasurer. For inquiries with the Motor Vehicle Department call 785-229-3455.